Washington Grants Offer Evergreen State Assistance Programs

| October 6, 2013 | 1 Comment

Washington GrantsLow-income residents of Washington can receive financial help through a number of state programs that derive funding from federal grants and state tax revenue. This help takes various forms including unemployment compensation, temporary assistance for needy families, food support, health care coverage and even emergency energy funding. In every instance, application for these programs are handled on the state level and residents interested in applying for help must meet eligibility requirements.

Support for Low-Income Washington Families
The Department of Social and Health Services offers a number of assistance programs that benefit low-income families in the State of Washington. These include the SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program which provides funds for families to acquire nutritious foods. Pregnant women and those with children from newborns to age 5 can also receive supplemental foods and other support through the Women, Infants and Children Program. Temporary cash assistance,  job training and career placement is offered to low-income families through Washington WorkFirst.

Child Nutrition and Early Childhood Education
In Washington, all Child Nutrition programs are handled by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. These include the school breakfast, school lunch, special milk and summer food programs which feed low-income school children. To inquire about or apply for any of these programs, speak with your child’s school. Early childhood education is provided through the nationwide Head Start initiative to low-income preschool kids age 5 or younger and highly involves parents and expectant mothers. To find a program offered in your local area use the Head Start locator to find out where to enroll.

Health Care Help in Washington
The Washington State Health Care Authority handles both Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program under one roof now called Apple Health. This program provides health care coverage for children under the age of 19, pregnant women, the blind, disabled and seniors 65 or older. For more information about how either can help cover your family’s medical insurance needs, call toll-free 1-800-562-3022.

Washington Energy Efficiency Grants and Fuel Assistance
The Department of Commerce offers two grants to help low-income families with the costs of heating and cooling their homes. LIHEAP will pay financial support directly to your energy provider on your behalf. The Weatherization Program will assist households in making their homes more energy-efficient by covering the costs of insulation and home improvements that result in lower heating and cooling bills over time. For additional information about either program, call 360-725-2857.

Applying for Unemployment in Washington
Washington workers who have found themselves unemployed through no fault of their own can apply for temporary assistance while seeking a new job. Application is handled through the Employment Security Department’s online unemployment benefits website. You must have worked in the past 12 to 18 months and be available to start work while claiming unemployment. Call toll-free 1-800-318-6022 if you have any questions about filing your claim.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Grants By States

About the Author ()

Kipp is the Contributing Editor for Grantsguys.com, covering sources of potential funding in the world of grants. His mission is to assist people like you by locating and sharing private, non-profit and government grants. Got a question or a tip on a neat grant? Connect with him now at kippshives@grantsguys.com. Facebook Twitter

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Cho Tang says:

    I need a grant bad!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *