New Jersey Grants Assist Garden State Public Programs

| September 29, 2013 | 0 Comments

New Jersey GrantsBenefits programs offered to residents of New Jersey derive their funding from both state and federal money. Usually the federal funding is determined by a formula grants process and New Jersey contributes additional funding on the local level from state revenue. The type of help provided by the state to its citizens can include health care coverage for children, temporary cash assistance for families in need and nutritional support programs for families, pregnant women and low-income school kids. For most of these programs, you must be considered low or very low-income to receive help. Here is a list of the type of support you can expect and information on where to turn for this assistance in your area.

Assistance for Low-Income New Jersey Families
New Jersey offers several benefit programs that specifically help low-income families. The state’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or what was formerly called food stamps provides assistance to families to purchase healthy and nutritious foods. For more information about SNAP, call 1-800-687-9512. Work First is the state’s temporary assistance for needy families program, providing temporary cash assistance, support and job training to low-income parents. To apply for temporary assistance, visit your local county welfare agency from the list provided by DHS. Expecting mothers and those with children up to age 5 can also receive special assistance through the state’s Women, Infants and Children or WIC Program. This is another source of nutritional support as well as a place where new moms can turn for education and counseling. To apply for help visit your local WIC clinic or call toll-free 1-866-446-5942.

Child Nutrition Programs and Early Childhood Education
Through partnership with the USDA, New Jersey provides several programs of nutritional support to its low-income school children. This includes the School Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program and Special Milk Program. These programs provide free or reduced meals to New Jersey school children depending on parental income. Applying is easy. To do so simply contact your child’s school. New Jersey also provides the Summer Food Service Program to ensure that the same kids helped through school programs have access to meals during the summer months when school is out. For additional information about any of these programs, call the Bureau of Child Nutrition Programs at 609-984-0692. The Federal Head Start Program also provides an early childhood education experience to low-income New Jersey preschool children under the age of 5. These programs are open to expecting mothers and to parents with infants and toddlers as well. To find a local Head Start in your area, use this Head Start locator provided on the Administration for Children and Families website.

Help with Health Care in New Jersey
New Jersey provides health care assistance to state residents through several programs. Medicaid provides help for low-income parents, children, seniors and the disabled. To apply for help visit the Medical Assistance Customer Center that supports your area. For additional help for uninsured children, the state also offers New Jersey Family Care which provides affordable coverage and quality care to the state’s minor children.

New Jersey Energy Efficiency Grants and Home Heating and Cooling Support
The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs offers both the Weatherization Assistance Program and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. These provide funding for making your home more energy-efficient and to pay for heating and cooling costs. To apply for help with either program you must contact your local county agency. For more information about weatherization, call 609-292-6140. If you have questions about heating and cooling support, call 1-800-510-3102.

Applying for Unemployment in New Jersey
As in all states, residents of New Jersey can rely on unemployment insurance when they lose their job through no fault of their own. The state requires that you must have worked in the last 12 to 18 months and that you must be available and able to start work while receiving benefits. Filing a new claim can be easily handled online through the Department of Labor and Workforce Development website.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Grants By States

About the Author ()

Kipp is the Contributing Editor for, covering sources of potential funding in the world of grants. His mission is to assist people like you by locating and sharing private, non-profit and government grants. Got a question or a tip on a neat grant? Connect with him now at Facebook Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *