Get Free Dentures Through These Grants That Will Make You Smile

| July 28, 2013 | 230 Comments

Free DenturesIf you need free dentures or cosmetic dental work because you do not have the money to pay for this yourself, there is some help available from the dental community that provides this type of assistance to low-income patients. Sadly there is certainly not enough of this help available to serve every person out there that cannot afford to pay for their own dental care. And it is easy to understand how frustrating it can be to desperately need quality dental work and not be able to afford it. But if you have a severe dental situation and you need help with free dentures or other dental prosthetics, you may be able to find it from the sources provided here.

Be advised that most of the resources available to dental patients are offered to those with low-income. This help is mainly targeted to correct medically at-risk cases, to help the disabled and to assist seniors with quality dental care they cannot afford to provide for themselves. There is one major national program that provides care through volunteer dentists and dental labs on the local level. And other programs exist that work specifically with victims of domestic violence and those who have been involved in living organ donations. In addition to the few programs that provide free care, many schools of dentistry across the country offer clinics that work with patients in their area at highly reduced rates. So if you cannot locate free dental help, seeking care from a university clinic could make addressing your dental problem more financially feasible.

Free Dental Work A Solution To A Growing Problem
This program may just be your best option and it is a program I have personally started myself. Do to the overwhelming amount of requests for funding we have received here at GrantsGuys.com and my personal connection to this topic I have decided to start a program. The program is fairly new and it will require some work on your end. If you feel that getting a small loan to fix your dental problem is a possible solution for you this program could work.

Dental Lifeline Network Donated Dental Services
The Dental Lifeline Network is just what it sounds like it is, a nationwide network of dentists and labs who volunteer free comprehensive dental treatment. It provides this help to those who lack proper income to pay for their own dental needs in three patient areas: seniors, permanently disabled and medically at-risk. This network contains over 15,000 dentists and 3,000 dental labs across the United States and steps in where Medicare and Medicaid do not cover essential dental services.

To apply for help, visit the state DDS programs page on the DLN website. Click on your state located on the map at the bottom of the page to find contact information for your state program coordinator. Each state listing provides email and phone for the point of contact for the program in your area and shows the overall amount of donated services and number of patients helped in the previous year inside each state. Availability of the program depends on the number of dentists enrolled in the volunteer program and coverage is far from consistent in all areas.

Domestic Violence Give Back a Smile Program
Offered by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, this professional dental organization provides free restorative work to those who have had their teeth damaged through criminal domestic violence. This program is open to any domestic violence victim, male or female, whose dental injuries were sustained by a partner or spouse and who are now out of the abusive relationship for at least one year. The program does not pay for dental repair caused by neglect or pay to fix dental injuries not sustained by domestic violence.

The application process to receive help is fairly simple. You must first fill out a patient application. There is a one time $20 application fee but this can be waived if you complete 10 hours of community service prior to submitting your application. Applicants must conduct a local interview to confirm program eligibility and will then have an appointment with an AACD dentist scheduled in their area to perform the cosmetic work to restore their smile. For more information, call 800-773-4227 or use the Give Back a Smile contact form on the AACD website.

Mouthglove Free Dentures Program for Living Organ Donors or Recipients
If you have made or received a living organ donation for surgery such as a kidney transplant and are in need of free dentures, you most likely qualify to receive help from Mouthglove Dentures. This is not a program to help those that have merely agreed to donate organs following a fatal accident, but instead works with patients who have undergone lifesaving organ donation surgery and are in need of dentures. To apply, email Mouthglove at mouthglove@gmail.com. You must provide information about the organ transplant you participated with including hospital records of the operation and agree to allow Mouthglove to use your story in press releases concerning its free dentures program. Help is somewhat limited as Mouthglove only provides a single donation per month of an upper or lower set of dentures.

Dentistry School Clinics Offering Reduced Dental Care
If you find you do not qualify for the programs that provide free dental care, the next best thing could be seeking treatment at a university dental clinic. If normal care through a dentist office is impossible due to lack of dental insurance or you simply cannot afford it, many dental schools across the country operate clinics that see patients at highly reduced rates. These clinics operate under the supervision of school faculty and exist to give dental students and residents experience working with patients. High quality dental care is provided by students, residents and in some cases faculty themselves but treatment is offered in an instructional environment and can take longer to accomplish than by visiting a normal dentist office. Due to the research environment available at a school of dentistry, state of the art techniques are likely to be used on those seeking care at a university clinic. Here are a few examples of schools that offer low-cost dental clinics:

To find a school clinic near you, search our dental schools page. there you will find the colleges and universities in your state that offer programs for dentistry and see if they offer reduced cost dental care in your area.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Medical Grants, Other Grant Information, Personal Grants

About the Author ()

Kipp is the Contributing Editor for Grantsguys.com, covering sources of potential funding in the world of grants. His mission is to assist people like you by locating and sharing private, non-profit and government grants. Got a question or a tip on a neat grant? Connect with him now at kippshives@grantsguys.com.
Facebook
Twitter

Comments (230)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jamie Montini says:

Hello. I’m a single mother of 6 beautiful children. I am 39 and I have no teeth. Was in a very abusive relationship for 7 years. Now we have been on our own for 8 years and I’ m ready for my life back. My kids life back. PLEASE HELP ME

2. Leigh Stockette says:

I don’t believe that I qualify for grant services. I have been struggling to try to get money saved up to get dentures but now a days I know what my parents meant by when it rains it pours. I had a few surgeries on my breast and after the medication was completed the enamel just started to slowly diminish. I will check to see if there is a school near me. Thank you.

• Kipp Shives says:

Leigh, what state are you in? I’ll be happy to look that up for you.

• Leigh Stockette says:

I am in Florida, west coast side, closest to Tampa.

• Kipp Shives says:

OK, Leigh, the Dental Lifeline Florida program does help people in your area, but you either have to be disabled a senior or your case would have to be described as medically fragile. I’m not sure if the enamel is bad enough to get their attention. But Mission of Mercy doesn’t check eligibility. Its open to anyone that shows up. The next free dental clinic in Florida being offered by MoM will be held next April in Jacksonville. Looks like in Florida, they only hold one per year. Check their website for details.

3. Kevin s. Crump says:

Please help me, I want to smile at a girl at least once before I die.

4. Ronnie Woodin says:

I lost my dentures. The bottom ones it is so hard to eat. I am 67 years old and on medicare. My mouth is so sore and I have no money to live on. Please help me.

5. Christina says:

Hi, I’m Christina. I’m a 28 year old single parent with 3 kids in need of dental implants. I have no income as its hard to get a job with no teeth in the front of my mouth. It hurts me not to be able to even smile. People look at me like I’m ugly and I feel so low about myself. I just wanna get my smile back and be able to go back to school but I’m so afraid to be in public to let anyone see how I look. I’m just looking for help if there’s anyone that’s willing to help me get my life back. I will be soooo happy. Thank u and God bless…

• Kipp Shives says:

Hey, Christina. The problem with implant work is that its often so incredibly expensive, that I’ve never found a group willing to do that sort of work for free through charity programs. With the MoM events, its mostly cleanings, extractions and dentures or small prosthetic work. As I’m sure you already know, implant work involves actual surgery, the implant prosthetics themselves cost about $1000 per tooth and its a very long and drawn out process. The only place I can think of that could help you out somewhat is a local dental school, where the curriculum involves teaching their students about state of the art work. Here is a list of dental schools. Find the closest one to you and call. I hope this info can help you. Thanks for sharing your story.

6. Randy Reeves says:

I have 5 infected teeth. What few teeth I do have do not allow me to eat very much. Often I will get sick because I’ve not eaten very well. Please help me.

7. Jean says:

This site sounds like a God send will check this stuff out right away.

8. Michael says:

I can barely run a computer. I am so overwhelmed and confused by this site. I need dentures. Help!

• Kipp Shives says:

LOL, don’t be confused by Grants Guys. Let me know what Please, I can help you with if you find our information confusing.

9. Katherine says:

I am in much need of free denture. I have discoid lupus and it affected my teeth which all had to be removed.

• Kipp Shives says:

Katherine, check your state for a Mission of Mercy event. If all you need is follow up dentistry then these 1 day clinics would be perfect for you.

10. I am a 54 year old female. I am disabled and have been for years. My teeth have always been an issue for me cause I’ve never had good teeth. I have been wearing dentures for a long time but this last year they became very painful. I also broke them once and had to repair them myself. Again they have broken and can not be repaired. Now, they are completely shattered. Now I have no teeth and eating is a problem. I can not chew much. I do not know where to turn. I am loosing weight. If there is any way to help me please. I will volunteer for experimental treatment, anything that I need to do I will do. Thank you, waiting to here.

• Kipp Shives says:

Hey, Mrs. Dunigan, sounds like you’re in a pretty rough spot. Check into some of those discount dentures places if you’re unable to get help. But please look into both of those programs I’ve been talking about here in the comments. Dental Lifeline and Mission of Mercy are really great and it sounds while your problem is certainly annoying that it wouldn’t cost too much to fix. This fits in well with the type of help that either of these programs offer coast to coast.

11. Mary says:

We are retired and worked in the non-profit sector helping teens from troubled backgrounds. My husband is 82 and has a pacemaker and some other medical issues. We are a very low income couple and are looking into qualifying for Medicaid. At the same time, my husband Rich’s upper bridge has come out and we have been told that he does not have the bone structure to support a new bridge. We were also told that it would be necessary to have a prosthodontiist pull his remaining teeth and design and build him a new upper denture. Please let me known if we qualify for a grant or our next steps should be. Thank you!

• Kipp Shives says:

Mary, definitely at your age you should have no problem qualifying for medicaid. Certainly that should be one of the rewards of a life dedicated to service. I think this organization can help you: http://dentallifeline.org/ That’s the top organization of this type. Also, check these free dental clinics out to see if there is one in your state. Those Mission of Mercy events are great. My Mom recently volunteered at one here in South Carolina. Rich will need implant work with the bone degradation problem but both of those groups can easily support that. Sounds like you’ll get help one way or the other. I wish you and Rich the very best.

12. Chelsey Farley says:

Hello, my name is Chelsey. I am a single mother of 3 beautiful kids. I have to get all my front teeth pulled and most of my bottom teeth, due to a calcium deficiency. I volunteer at my babies school all the time. With the new school year coming up. I really want to have a beautiful smile. I’m only 26 years old. I don’t want to walk around for the rest of my life with no teeth. I’m very upset about having to get my teeth pulled in the first place. I am on a very small fixed income right now. If there could be any way you all could help me I would appreciate it more then words could express. Thank you so much! — CHELSEY Farley

• Kipp Shives says:

Chelsey, thanks so much for sharing your story. I hope you can find a way to fix your smile soon. Here’s a few places you should try. Check this Dental Lifeline Network website and see what dentists you can see in your area. This is a low or no cost service sponsored by each State Dental Association. Also, check out this article about Free Dental Clinics I wrote last year. If your state is covered, you could easily go to a free clinic somewhere in your state and get you teeth pulled and replaced without charge. I’d imagine with three children at home as a single mother, you’d have no problem meeting the eligibility requirements of either program. Good luck to you and thank you as well.

13. Dear Kipp Shives, thanks for including us in your list of free dentures providers. Unfortunately, this is not a current option for us anymore. We have terminated that program in favor of working with a local union out of Philadelphia. They now check clients credentials and all we have to do is provide the denture by mail order, our which is our specialty. With the old program, the vetting process broke down too frequently to make it work. We had many emails back and forth, mostly long ones with heartbreaking stories, but in the end we found it almost impossible to obtain proper proof of eligibility. So here’s an update for your records concerning Mouthglove and I thank you. Best wishes, Klaus Buschan

• Kipp Shives says:

Klaus, thanks for letting us know about your program change. Since we wrote this a few years ago, a lot has changed. I’ll update this post later this week to remove that old information and provide a few more potential sources for help that I’ve been able to find since then. Regardless, thanks for the service you were providing and good luck with the new program in Philadelphia.

14. Allen Rogers says:

I am 58 years old and disabled. I have six bad teeth in the front lower part of my mouth. That is all of my teeth. I need dentures badly, but cannot afford them on 950 dollars a month.

• Kipp Shives says:

Allan, no idea what state you are in but check this Dental Lifeline state map, click on your state and find the information for where you live. This will tell you how and to who to apply. Most state programs work with the disabled who are on fixed incomes, no problem.

15. Lindsay Skeens says:

I am 27 and the mother of three children. I live in Comfort, WV. I am having at least 8 teeth extracted and need others but am trying to hold out until I can find a way to get dentures so I will still be able to eat and work. I am low income and don’t qualify for loans. Any help would be appreciated.

• Kipp Shives says:

Hi Lindsay. It looks like there’s still no Mission of Mercy clinic operating in West Virginia. Here is some information about the West Virginia Dental Association’s Donated Dental Services program, tho. But it looks like its currently not accepting applications. I wish I had better news for you up there but Appalachia is one of the worst areas in the country for free programs and probably needs them the most. I’d call Erica Newton at 855/582-7896 and ask about when that program will start taking applications again. Good luck!