Alabama Grants Provide Public Programs in the Heart of Dixie

| August 8, 2013 | 1 Comment

Alabama GrantsFederal block grant funding provided to the State of Alabama by the U.S. Government supports state funding to bring a number of services to Alabama citizens. These programs are a lifeline to low-income Alabama families, offering food, health care and general support in a number of ways. Here you will find a brief description of what each program does and information on where to apply for available services.

ALL Kids Children’s Health Insurance
Through partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, the Alabama Department of Public Health offers this Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to ensure that children under 19 years of age have access to low-cost health insurance coverage. Parents pay only $52-104 for each child per year, depending on family size and overall income. The program provides preventative treatment through check-ups, immunizations, dental cleanings and vision examinations with no co-pay whatsoever and expanded coverage for prescriptions, emergency care and other services with small additional co-pays. You may apply online or pick up an application packet at your local county health department. If you have any questions about the All Kids Program, call 1-888-373-5437 between 7:30 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.

Family Assistance
The Alabama Department of Human Resources offers assistance to low-income families with children under the age of 18. The program provides temporary cash payments to assist with the family’s basic needs through Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT cards, provides job training for parents and child care services while parents are involved in job training obligations. Visit the department website to view all eligibility requirements. To apply, print and mail the family assistance application to your county Department of Human Resources office or you can apply directly. To find your county office, use the online county office locator. For further information about Alabama Family Assistance, call 334-242-1773 or 334-242-1950 or email

Food Assistance
The Department of Human Resources Food Assistance Division provides the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to deliver federal USDA funding on the state level to residents of Alabama. Assistance is available to low-income individuals and families and provides a supply of good nutritious foods. To apply, you must first create an account on and then complete the food assistance application. This can be faxed, mailed or delivered in person to your county DHR office. To find your county office, use the online county office locator. If you have any questions about the Food Assistance Program, call 334-242-1700 or email

Head Start and Early Head Start
The Alabama Department of Children’s Affairs provides Head Start and Early Head Start programs to encourage school readiness for children under 5 from low-income families. Head Start involves parents in preschool literacy and learning through early childhood education and provides social services like child care while involved in the program. To apply for either Head Start (for children ages 3 to 5) or Early Head Start (expecting mothers and children under 3), use the Head Start locator to find the program nearest you.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
The LIHEAP program helps low-income residents of Alabama afford home heating and electricity costs through federal block grant funding provided by the Department of Health and Human Services. If your family participates in other programs like SNAP, SSI or TANF, you may be automatically eligible to receive energy assistance. To apply, call 1-800-392-8098 to receive your Community Action Agency’s contact information. For any other questions about how the Alabama LIHEAP can help your family, call 334-242-4909.

Federal Medicaid is administered on the state level by the Alabama Medicaid Agency. The program provides medical insurance for low-income residents of Alabama, including pregnant women, children, disabled and seniors. To apply for help, contact your local Medicaid district office. To find the office nearest you, use this Medicaid district office locator and click on your county for telephone, address and driving directions. If you have any questions about how Medicaid coverage can help your family, call 1-800-362-1504.

School Nutrition Programs
The Alabama Department of Education has several school nutrition programs that provide state level access to federally funded initiatives inside Alabama schools. The School Breakfast Program and National School Lunch Program provide free and reduced meals for school children from low-income families. The Special Milk Program supplies milk to kids enrolled in a half-day program, camp or daycare. And the Summer Food Service continues the work of normal school nutrition programs during the summer months to ensure that those helped during the school year do not experience hunger or food insecurity while school is out. To apply for any of these programs, simply contact your child’s school. For additional information on these school nutrition programs, call 334-242-1988.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
The state provides a number of services to low-income pregnant women and to their infants and children under the state WIC program. Assistance is available to expecting mothers and to new moms with children under the age of 5. WIC provides supplemental foods, nutrition education and access to health care services at no cost to those found to be nutritionally at-risk. If you already participate in SNAP, Medicaid or TANF, you may be automatically eligible for the program. To apply, visit your county health department or call 1-888-942-4673 to find the agency in your area. For general information about the WIC program, call the Department of Public Health at 1-800-654-1385.

Unemployment Insurance
Alabama provides temporary assistance to state residents who have lost their job through no fault of their own through the Alabama Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance Program. To receive benefits, you must have worked within the past 12 to 18 months and meet program guidelines. You must also be able to work and be available to start a job while receiving benefits. Applications are handled by an automated phone service. To file your initial claim call 1-866-234-5382. If you experience any problems filing over the phone, fill out a claimant inquiry on the website or call the Department of Labor at 1-800-361-4524.

Weatherization Assistance
The Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs offers support through the federal Department of Energy to reduce energy costs through weatherization assistance. The program helps low-income seniors, disabled and families with children by improving energy efficiency. Weatherization assistance includes installing insulation, window repair and check ups for heating and air conditioning systems. If you receive benefits already through Supplemental Security Income or Aid to Families with Dependent Children, you are automatically eligible. Contact the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs to apply at 334-242-5373 or call the Community Action Association of Alabama at 205-342-9291.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Grants By States

About the Author ()

Kipp is the Contributing Editor for, covering sources of potential funding in the world of grants. His mission is to assist people like you by locating and sharing private, non-profit and government grants. Got a question or a tip on a neat grant? Connect with him now at Facebook Twitter

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Mark Newman says:

    Hi, I am a disabled individual that lives on SSI, and I need a complete set of dentures. Im unable to afford them because i live on a fixed income, and everything i get from them goes for living expenses, so I cant afford a new set. My current dentures do not fit that well at all, so this is an emergency for me.. Please email me back, or call me at 205-202-6940.
    Thank you,
    Mark Newman

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *